Spring is underway and if you haven’t booked a vacation yet this year, it’s time to change that. Here are three destinations to escape to in 2018 that are a great fit for west coast residents.
The Caribbean During Shoulder Season in 2018
If you live on the west coast you likely get milder weather where you live compared to other areas of the country so timing your trip around weather patterns may not be as important to you. That means traveling during shoulder season, the time right before and after a destination’s busy season, has the potential to be a great fit for you. The Caribbean is one of these places.
The Caribbean’s shoulder months of May and June can be ideal months to visit the Caribbean if you are looking for less crowds while exploring ports of call in the islands. May is the beginning of the rainy season, but rainfall is often quite sporadic still. June is technically the beginning of hurricane season, but since peak hurricane season doesn’t begin until mid-July your chances are pretty good a hurricane won’t impact your itinerary.
Still, the ending of prime Caribbean weather and sunshine (which is from December through April) deters some travelers. If you’re not bothered by some rain, this can be an excellent time to visit since you likely will still get quite a bit of sunshine and you’re going to see a lot less crowds at the popular places on the island. Deals can often be found during this time, too.
Here are some sailings to check out on Celebrity Equinox, which is one of the gorgeous ships in the Solstice-class and has a real grass lawn on the top deck, a hot glass show, and a modern Main Dining Room with a beautiful two-story wine tower (plus many other specialty restaurants on board). Click on each of these sailings for more information and to see some excellent pricing for the veranda staterooms. Cruising on a veranda stateroom provides you with your own private outdoor space and is an amazing way to cruise.
- 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Departing June 2: Sail on Celebrity Eclipse roundtrip from Miami, Florida to Key West, Florida; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; and Puerto Costa Maya, Mexico.
- 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Departing June 23: This cruise is also on Celebrity Eclipse and departs from Miami, Florida, but you’ll instead visit San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten, before returning to Miami.
To see all 2018 cruises to the Caribbean, click here.
Sail to Alaska in 2018
If you haven’t visited Alaska yet, make 2018 the year you finally do so. Alaska might seem far away, but it’s actually quite easy for west coast residents to get to thanks to cruising. Make your way to Seattle, Washington, or Vancouver, British Columbia, which is easy to drive to if you live in the Pacific Northwest and often an affordable flight if you live farther south. Flights by Celebrity makes it even easier to figure out flights to and from your Alaska cruise.
For Seattle departures to Alaska, the itinerary is a Tracy Arm Fjord Cruise. Depart Seattle on Celebrity Solstice to Ketchikan, Alaska. From there you’ll spend day sailing down Tracy Arm Fjords to the impressive Sawyer Glacier. Next, your days will be spent exploring the Alaskan port cities of Juneau and Skagway before sailing the Inside Passage down to Victoria, British Columbia, where you’ll end your cruise.
Another itinerary to check out is this one that begins in Vancouver, British Columbia, on May 18, and ends in Seattle, Washington. It also sails along Tracy Arm Fjord and visits popular Alaskan cruise ports.
May can be a great time to visit Alaska if you want to avoid crowds and still see epic sights. In addition to the sailing above, these two sailings on Celebrity Millennium visit the amazing glaciers of Alaska during the month of May:
- 8-Night Alaska Northern Glacier Cruise Departing May 10: Sail from Vancouver, British Columbia, up through Alaska’s Inside Passage and then visit the Alaskan ports of Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, and Seward, with days by Icy Strait Point and Hubbard Glacier along the way.
- 8-Night Alaska Southern Glacier Cruise Departing May 18: Sail a similar itinerary to the Northern Glacier Cruise above, but depart from Seward, Alaska, and end your cruise in Vancouver, British Columbia.
When booking an Alaska cruise, keep in mind it’s worth the splurge to upgrade to a veranda stateroom as it gives you a private, front-row seat to all the grandeur and beautiful views Alaska offers.
Northern Europe 2018 Cruises
Europe is another place where you can easily still plan an epic trip in 2018.
One destination that is hot right now with traveler is Iceland, and for good reason. Iceland is still enough off of the tourist path that you can feel like you’re discovering it and will have travel tales to tell friends and family upon your return that they haven’t heard numerous times before. Iceland is full of natural wonders including glaciers and waterfalls. During a cruise there, you can arrange excursions to see these breathtaking sights.
Check out the below sailing, which sails to Iceland and also visits Ireland:
- 10-Night Ireland and Iceland Cruise Departing May 10 or May 28: Sail roundtrip from Dublin, Ireland to Belfast, Northern Ireland; Reykjavik, Iceland (where you have an overnight); Akureyri, Iceland; Lerwick/Shetland, Scotland. You’ll finish up your cruise with an overnight in Dublin before disembarking. Don’t miss any of the Atlantic views by booking a veranda.
Another way to explore Northern Europe is with a British Isles cruise, and in 2018 you can even choose one that visits Edinburgh during the British Open as part of Celebrity Cruises’ Signature Event Sailings. The British Open is an exiting event showcasing some of the best golfers around. The 2018 British Open will be played at Carnoustie, considered to be one of the toughest golf courses in the world, and which is easy to get to from the port of Edinburgh. During the Signature Event Sailing, Celebrity Cruises will have an overnight in Edinburgh during the British Open and help guests who want to attend get tickets and transportation to the event.
- The British Open Signature Event Sailing will sail roundtrip from Amsterdam, Netherlands, on July 13 and will also visit Bruges, Belgium; Cork, Ireland; Waterford, Ireland; Dublin, Ireland; Liverpool, England; and Dover, England.
Book Your 2018 Cruise
Which area of the world do you most want to visit this year? Let us know in the comments below and then head to www.CelebrityCruises.com to book your 2018 cruise vacation.