AMERICAS, CRUISE DESTINATIONS
PORT OF CALL SPOTLIGHT: LOS ANGELES
DECEMBER 2, 2016
The southern California city of Los Angeles (LA) is a massive metropolis, a surfer beach town, a vibrant cultural center, a natural wonderland, and…a cruise port. Many people don’t realize you can visit Los Angeles on a cruise and it’s a great way to experience the city without having the deal with LAX (Los Angeles’ huge airport) or the epic traffic LA is famous for.
You can visit the port of Los Angeles during a Celebrity Cruises Pacific Coastal cruise. Many of the cruise itineraries for this cruise route include a stop in Los Angeles and some even start or end in LA, meaning you can add a couple more days in LA before or after being on the ship.
Where the Cruise Ship Docks
Your cruise ship will pull into port in San Pedro, which is located in an industrial area of California just south of LA near Long Beach.
What to Do While in Port in Los Angeles
It’s hard to think of LA without picturing your favorite celebrities. If learning more about tinsel town excites you when you think about visiting Los Angeles, then don’t visit the parts of LA where movie magic happens. Top picks include:
- Universal Studios – you can visit actual working film studios at this amusement park, and — if you’re lucky — during the tour you might even spot a celebrity. In addition, you’ll see movie memorabilia from some of your favorite films and go on some movie-inspired rides.
- Hollywood Walk of Fame – Find the stars with your favorite celebrity’s names on it, then go and check out the handprints and footprints in front of TCL Chinese Theatre. This iconic movie theater has also been the location of many movie premieres so imagine you’re walking down your own red carpet while there.
Los Angeles is home to some quintessential southern California beaches. If you want the full LA beach experience, head to one of these beaches:
- Venice Beach – This beach has beautiful sand and beautiful people — and some interesting characters that make it a great place for people watching. Meander down the boardwalk, check out the nearby surf shops, or find a space of sand to lie on.
- Santa Monica – If you like some classic entertainment with your beach going experience, spend your day in the LA community of Santa Monica, where you can walk down sandy beaches or ride on roller coasters and play carnival-style games on the Santa Monica Pier.
- Malibu – The beaches here are rugged and less crowded than down south. Head to the pier for a picturesque walk or marvel at the coastal rock structures at El Matador Beach.
Hiking in Los Angeles
Los Angeles isn’t just glitz, glam, and skyscrapers. It is also home to some gorgeous natural landscapes and hiking trails. If you’d like to get your heart rate up while in port in LA, consider a hiking adventure. Check out this article for tips on hiking one of the top trails in LA.
Art and Culture
Los Angeles is home to a variety of museums and cultural centers. Some of the must-see ones include:
- The Getty Center – Not only is the Getty Center home to an impressive art collection, it also has incredible architecture and an expansive manicured garden to walk through.
- Griffith Observatory – The Griffith Observatory is home to a neat planetarium that draws in space enthusiasts, but is also one of the best places to go for views of LA. From its Mount Hollywood location, you can see the Hollywood Sign and downtown LA.
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County – Love dinosaurs? How about insects and rocks? You’ll find all that and much more to be mesmerized by and learn about at this informative LA museum.
Book Your Trip to Los Angeles
The port of Los Angeles is a massive metropolitan and while these are some of the top things you can do in the city, they’re far from the only things. There’s something for everyone in LA and you can experience it while in port in Los Angeles on a Celebrity Cruises vacation. To book your Celebrity cruise to LA, visit www.CelebrityCruises.com or speak with your travel agent.